Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Blue and White is Back!

I am so happy blue and white is stylish again.  I have always loved it and have quite a few pieces. My dining room sideboard got a new look using old books in different shades of blue, moss balls and a house plant in cache pots and camellias in a small ginger jar. Using both light blue designs along with the cobalt color blended the blue and white in a look I love.



This is the first pic I took. Decided to add some fresh camellias from my garden. It was slim pickins finding pretty blossoms because we've had many nights with freezing temperatures. Since this picture I added curly willow to the taller vases.

It was fun finding books in pretty colors of blue.

I even found an old Alabama history textbook with a blue binding. 
Hooray, gold is also back and makes me happy. I have gold mirrors, lamps, candlesticks and chandeliers. Decorating with what you love is fun and double fun when what you like is vogue again.
The blue plate a top the books is vintage Old England Allen Ware from the 1950's. The other pieces are 80's and early nineties.

This month's House Beautiful was my inspiration pic along with William- Sonoma Home pictures. Williams-Sonoma pieces are quite pricey as well as Frontgate. My pieces were bought years ago and were not expensive. Hobby Lobby currently  has less expensive blue and white pieces. Ballard Designs prices are higher than Hobby Lobby but less than Williams -Sonoma. Anthropologie has lovely pieces of blue and white with gold added but they are smaller in size.  You can create a pleasant look with less expensive pieces especially if you mix live plants and flowers. I like to mix old and newer items in all my decorating. 

Williams- Sonoma
This is my living room coffee table. I've also used the same blue and white ginger jar  bought in the late eighties on a skirted table with books all around.  I would love to have a party and have wispy forsythia in this ginger jar and lovely peonies in a blue and white container and other blue and white vases atop my books. 

For those of you who follow my blog you will have noticed I have been absent in blogland. Life was busy with visiting family and having family visit me in December. January and February has had sadness with my MIL's Alzheimer's disease. Blogging has been the last thing on my mind. This post was a brief retreat. At this point I am taking a blogging break and not sure how it will all play out. I will miss all of you. Bonnie

Linking to: Share your Style.

25 comments:

  1. I love it! The blue and whites are so pretty. I'm bringing more into my decor this year too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie, I love blue and white and I too have some blue and white. I need to post some pics soon. Love all of your blue and white. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely to see your blue and white, it is very pretty. I hope that all goes as well as it can for your family and you at this time. We will be here when you are ready/able to return from your bloggy break. Look after yourself as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie, Your sideboard is lovely with your blue and white, and how I wish I'd found the blue AL book first! I'm happy to hear gold is popular again, I have a lot of it too.
    I'm sorry to hear of your MIL's illness. You need to take care of yourself and family during this time.
    Sending hugs...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love blue and white pieces! Your vignette is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the shades you've included

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there ever a time when blue and white isn't in style. Your pieces would look good no matter when. I hate to hear of your MIL. Alzheimers is a dreadful disease and for the caregivers it is so emotionally draining. I will keep you close in my thoughts.xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely...nothing beats blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all your blue and whites!! I have that same oval planter with the plant in it.....they came in a set of 3 about 15 years ago!! And I love the little stand it sits on with the cute feet.........always in style!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blue and white collection Bonnie! Our camellias buds are frozen here when they're normally blooming with temps in the 'teens & single digits this winter. There is nothing prettier or more welcome than a pop of pink or yellow paired with blue & white. I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. My FIL passed away two years ago after a downhill slide from Alzheimer's.Thinking of you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blue and white vignettes, Bonnie! The color combo just works so well with other colors to make them come alive. I'm sorry about your dear MIL's diagnosis with Alzheimer's. Hugs and blessings are sent to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to have a lot of blue and white. I have a blue calico set of Staffordshire china all packed away. I've been wanting to sell it. Maybe now is a good time! So sorry to hear about your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just lovely!! I love blue and white, too. So classic. Am sorry to hear about your MIL. Sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonnie, your sideboard looks absolutely gorgeous with all your blue and white. I love the addition of greenery and flowers, as well as the books too. Your taste is classic, and you have such pretty things. :)

    I have missed you so much, Bonnie; I almost e-mailed you last week to see if everything was okay. I'm so very sorry to hear that your mother-in-law has Alzheimer's; that's so sad for everyone involved. I'll be thinking of you and praying for your family. Take care of yourself, and check in with us when you can.

    XO,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Bonnie,
    I have missed you but I surely understand taking a break. so have I...It just isn't easy to write a blog anymore..There are so many other things that demand my time and attention. so glad to see you here even if it is a brief moment..
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am a true lover of blue and white and your vignette is just lovely! thank you for linking up to our first Share Your Style link party! Enjoy the rest of your weekend Bonnie!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all of your blue and white pieces. You've got a nice collection. I'm sorry to hear about your MIL's Alzheimer's disease. My MIL is bed ridden with a stroke too. I understand how difficult it can be having a terminally ill MIL. Mine receives hospice care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie - love your sideboard with the blue and white pieces. I really did not realize that blue and white was not "in", but I am glad that it is back! I hope all is well with you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning Bonnie! So elegant with your gorgeous furnishings~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Bonnie, your blue and white pieces are lovely. I love it too and have a small collection. I would buy more if I could, older stuff! Hope all is well with you? Love Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Bonnie, Stopping in to say hello. Of course you know how I love your blue and white. I wish I had collected more over the years. It is always in style!
    Hugs.......

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never thought blue and white went out of style! It's so classic. I have noticed a resurgence in it's popularity though. You have a beautiful collection of blue and white ceramic pieces. They look great grouped together.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I am with you! I truly adore blue. Thank you for the inspiration. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bonnie, I'm also a fan of blue and white. Like you, I've had my pieces for many many years. I had stored them when we first moved into this home, but brought them back out some years ago to use them in our bay window. I've added a few other pieces in recent years that I found at estate sales. Blue and white is classic! Like you, I like to gather books bound in blue. I saw a set of three at Half Price Books today, but they were more than I wanted to spend. Need to find just the right spot, then perhaps I'll go back and get them. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bonnie I also love blue and white . I did plates on a yellow wall it was beautiful. come by some time yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so encouraging and make my day. I would love to know what you are thinking.
Please consider following by email or Bloglovin'. Thank you for reading my blog.