Friday, November 23, 2012

Family Thanksgiving Dinner




 The weather this year has been so mild and beautiful. My daughter and her family and my mother-in-law were at our house this year. We were blessed to Skype with our son's family who were visiting family in Virginia.


 I used my English game plates I bought at Brimfield Antique Show in Massachusetts years ago now again this Thanksgiving. The first blog post I did as I began my blog in  2009  can be viewed here with the same plates. Can you see changes? Hopefully, there are improvements. Blogging has stretched me in many ways and I have miles to go but thank you to those that have been a part of my journey in this endeavor!

It is interesting to me how one texture or color can inspire a new direction in tablescaping design. The blue Jarrahdale pumpkins inspired me to  use my Provencal tablerunners I bought in Provence on the table and the sideboard. Then, when I placed the game plates on the chargers the blue in the sky popped out. Of course, does it not make sense blue is my favorite color and I am drawn to blue! My dryed hydrangeas from a previous post  shown here seemed at home still so they stayed  this year.



The blue gray pumpkins called Jarrahdale or Queensland pumpkins are so pretty to me and new to me this year. I found the blue gray ones as well as the very unique peanut pumpkin or also called double uglies this year.
 One of my blogger friends sent this pic from a market she visits. See the pic above from Linda @ Lulu's Musings.


It is amazing how many pots and pans and dishes you can dirty making Thanksgiving dinner. Thankful for dishwashers and extra help in the kitchen!


Our menu consisted of: squash casserole, sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and nut topping, green beans,  southern cornbread dressing, fresh cranberry relish, and smoked turkey done on the green egg with great care by my husband and son-in law. Ok, I will admit all the women present admit we flunked gravy 101 but we had two renditions. One was pre-purchased and one was very hands on but did not compete with the turkey  drippings at all! The drippings were served au jus and beat the other choices by far! The turkey was so tender and flavorful! It was stuffed with an apple, lemon, onion, celery, fresh thyme, and fresh rosemary with ground salt and pepper.




Our ten year old grandson read Psalm 100 as we reflected on all our blessings God has provided after my husband asked God's blessings on our lives before we began our meal.

Later that evening smores were enjoyed just because they were fun to make by the grandchildren as we visited around  our fire pit. I think we were all stuffed by pumpkin and pecan pie but you know how it is!  Thanksgiving comes but once a year! We are a blessed people!




It is so much fun to sit around a fire and teach the younger ones the techniques of roasting marsh mellows as well as the mesmerizing effects of a fire and the heartfelt warmth of loved ones! I wish you all a blessed and happy extended Thanksgiving. I am counting so many rich blessings living in America affords. May we all recognize the providence our creator has provided.


Hope you have a delightful long weekend! PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW! Bonnie

Linking to Tablescape Thursday and Seasonal Sundays.

13 comments:

  1. beautifully setted table! Hope you've all enjoyed it. It so nice to see whole family doing something in the kitchen. I do believe that sweetest memories are made that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your Thanksgiving pictures - Your table was lovely as always. We had almost the same menu - except I made squash dressing, and added an asparagus casserole along with the sweet potatoes - Amanda made hash brown casserole and poppy seed chicken as well, as her older two won't eat turkey. The baby ate everything! I posted my Thanksgiving decorations on FB.
    * I especially liked your china ( so pretty for Fall and Thanksgiving ) - I just always use my Lenox (but it's so plain), as it's the only time I use it - have a Christmas china . Always enjoy your blog. MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie~ First of all, what a gorgeous family photo, it should be framed! I love your beautiful Thanksgiving table with your English game plates and the soft textures and colors of your hydrangeas and blue gray pumpkins! Your menu sounds delicious~ we're fans of sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and pecans too~ marshmallows are taboo on sweet potatoes, and should be reserved for s'mores only in my opinion! :D Love the photos around your fire pit! Thanks for your visits and all your sweet comments, enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely family you have! Your dishes are so pretty too.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie,

    A happy and blessed (belated) Thanksgiving to you!! I love this post!

    I almost flipped out when I saw those English game plates -- they're GORGEOUS!!! Wow, that was quite a find. Your home is just lovely and filled with such beautiful furniture and classic treasures. Your sideboard looks so pretty with the dried Hydrangeas and the dried wheat. The Provencal tablerunner definitely brings out the blue in your plates (blue is one of my favorite colors as well).

    Everything on your menu and looks and sounds delicious. I don't see anything on that plate that I don't like. :) You have a lovely family; and I do agree with you that we are very blessed in this nation.

    Have a wonderful week Bonnie!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, sweet Bonnie! How ya doin'!!?!??!! SO great to see what a fun and love-filled Thanksgiving Day you had with your family! And thank goodness for Skype, huh? REALLY makes a difference during the holidays when family gets pulled in various directions!!! Your meal looks just as tasty as your table! The dishes are beautiful. I think I remember them from a couple of years ago. You and I both had just started blogging. They're just as pretty now as then! Gorgeously ugly pumpkins in the photo from Linda! The more blemishes, the better for me, too!!! Blessings and best wishes as you get smack into the middle of holiday shopping, decorating and cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Bonnie, what a beautiful dinner you made for your family. The table was so elegant and yet so simple. I couldn't resist looking back to see your first one, and although lovely,I can most definitely see improvements. You always take such care over your table, and as I look around your home, it is so well cared for and loved. I just love the marvellous pumpkins you can get over there, they are so tactile and textured.

    Many thanks for your visit to me. So glad you enjoyed the video. I know it seems like an obscene amount of flowers, but I think if I had the money to go all out with flowers I would. Have a wonderful week my friend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The English game plates... The wonderful Queensland blue pumpkins... So many gorgeous elements in your elegant Thanksgiving tablescape. I adore the family pictures! Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful images of your Thanksgiving celebrations Bonnie ........ they really show a very close family enjoying a special day. ......and, it's so lovely to see all of the generations together.
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment and definitely try and get to Rome......you will love every part of it. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful family you have! Your Thanksgiving looked like it was wonderful. I believe we may have the same sweet potato casserole recipe too. Mine looks just like yours! Your table setting was beautiful. I love the fact that y'all roasted marshmellows afterwards. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie, I love the game plates and your table is so pretty. Looks like a fun day and the family photo is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your beautiful dishes! The variety of pumpkins and squash made for a lovely display. How fun to finish off the day with Smores! Lovely family. Now following you.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful Thanksgiving table. It is so nice to look at something besides Christmas. Blogging can really put you in Christmas overload and your table looks so serene and the food yummy. Thanks for coming by to visit me earlier and nice to meet you.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so encouraging and make my day. I would love to know what you are thinking.
Please consider following by email or Bloglovin'. Thank you for reading my blog.