Tuesday, May 31, 2011

PROVENCE...One trip is not enough!

   Visiting Provence is like exploring the United States because there are so many wonderful sites to see and explore. The small perched villages,  market days, the brightly colored harbours with fishing boats, the festivals, the country homes, the medieval abbeys, the lavendar fields, poppies and grape vines and olive trees and the most pleasant slow paced atmosphere. We only scratched the surface.


Our journey began in Paris for two days and nights then we took the fast train to Avignon and rented a car. From there we drove to Saint-Remy-de- Provence. We based out of Chateau- de-Roussan pictured above for four nights and enjoyed day trips in the surrounding area. It was love at first sight and I was addicted making pictures of the chateau grounds and interiors. The original mas was built many years before the grand chateau which was built in 1702 or 1704.  


 An alley of hundred year old plane trees frame the ambience of the Chateau. Chateau Roussan truly exceded all my expectations. 


 As we drove to the back I was so excited. 


  


 Adjacent to Chateau Roussan was a beautiful scene with sheep grazing.


 I felt as if I was in the movie, " A Good Year".



A group of college students were eating outside as we arrived.
 I could not get enough of making pictures of the grounds. It was addicting. 








 It was unbelievable that I was photographing staturaries that were four hundred years old.






This was my favorite scene.


 There was an interesting water system that utilized a natural spring to channel water from parts of the grounds.



View from the back of the Chateau from the greenhouse and pool flanked by the statues.


 The large plane trees were beautiful and shaded the property. It was so pleasant to view the grounds.




The friends that recommended the Chateau to us mentioned viewing swans from their window. We learned the pretty swans had fallen prey to some fox. 






We enjoyed a wonderful dinner that night at the Chateau.




L'addition (the bill) was presented in this darling bird cage!




The sunset was glorious! This is just a small part of our first day. Stay tuned for more of our adventure.
Provence posts:
 "Provence....One trip is not enough!"
  Provence-Part Deux
  Provence-Part Trois
  Voila! A gift to you from FRANCE!
 Does this street market make me look fat?
Bathroom Diva in Provence

Linking to Outdoor Wednesday, Foodie Friday, Between Naps on the Porch, and Wow us Wednesdays.

7 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful! Such beautiful pictures ~ thank you for sharing day one, and looking forward to more of your lovely adventure! God bless, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such fun to read...beautiful photos! I can't wait to see more!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pics. Fascinating to see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with the place you photographed! And you got to stay there for several days?!?!?! I might never have left! The grounds were incredibly stunning as well as the actual mas! The trees that lined the driveway....unbelievable!!!!!
    Even though we lived in England and now in Italy I've never been to France.
    I'm hoping that we'll go for our anniversary in September if money's not TOO tight!
    You have inspired me!
    I can't wait to see more!
    When we come back to AL in the fall I'd love to have you for coffee/dessert at my house!
    Hugs/blessings,
    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Provence is on my bucket list! What gorgeous scenery~ I can only imagine how wonderful it was in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, oh how I love this! I have to return for at least a week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for adding great post. I have subscribed.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so encouraging and make my day. I would love to know what you are thinking.
Please consider following by email or Bloglovin'. Thank you for reading my blog.