Thursday, October 24, 2013

Assisi, Italy ~ The birthplace of St Francis of Assisi

Here we are headed to Assisi on our Insight "Best of Italy" Bus Tour.
We arrive in Assisi and check into our hotel. Giotto is a name we will hear again concerning the history of Assisi.

A pic from the bus as we approached the Umbrian medieval town of Assisi.
Assisi is a medieval town in the beautiful Umbrian region of Italy. It is the birthplace of St. Francis of Assisi. Think about Assisi and when St. Francis lived. Read about his life here.
Via google images

Via Google images. Basilica of St Francis.


The Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi was completed in 1253.



Via google images of interior of Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. We were not allowed to make pics of the interior. I procured this from Google. The frescos of artist Giotto are astonishing. You can google frescos of Giotto and see many of the amazing images. The atmosphere of the basilica was respectful and reverent.


Cross bow competition in medieval costumes.






Shops in the town of Assisi.
Boor meat is popular in the area.
We were in Assisi right before the Pope's visit.
The walled town of Spello near Assisi. Entrance would be closed at night.
We were given an opportunity to visit Spello , a medieval roman town near Assisi. I was blown away by the age of this ancient town.

Ancient Roman road.

Ancient roman pipe.
A
Roman well.


Ancient door.


Typical italian men in conversation.
Current residents out for a day in the park.

 Can you grasp the age of these streets? Also the incline of walking to the top of the town was challenging.
In ancient times the walled city gate was closed at night but a water source was available outside the gate for travelers. The water spiquot is still in operation today.




I hope you have been impressed by the beauty of Umbria, the significance of the life and work of St. Francis and the age and amazing structures that still remain in Assisi and Spello. Next stop, Sorrento and Capri.

Previous posts of Italy may be viewed here: Rome.....the eternal city
Venice and the Magic of Serenissima.

Joining Oh, the PLACES, I have been, Wow Us Wednesday's, and Open House Party Thursday .

9 comments:

  1. Your photos of Assisi, and all the other places you have visited in Italy, made me yearn to return there very soon! My husband was born ni Italy and has many relatives, from the north to the south, living there, so we hope to take another trip to see them all in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Italy is one of the most historic, romantic places I've ever been. Our main traveling cities were Pisa and Venice. We drove along the countryside and it was mesmerizing. Assissi looks amazing also, the old buildings and walkways intrigue me. You took some beautiful pictures.
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful place to visit in Italy that I wouldn't have thought about except for your beautiful blog photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I felt like I was riding in your pocket! Such grand and inspiring images. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how beautiful! I love to tour old cities like that. I've never had the good fortune to go to Italy before. I have a nephew that is married to an Italian girl and they visit her parents there a lot. That's about the only connection I have to it. Thanks for sharing those lovely pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful and charming town! I've known a few people who have gone here doing Pilgrimages. The architecture is stunning Those shops are just so interesting. It's too bad they won't let you take pictures of the basilica inside. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip to Assisi with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I marvel at the architecture and feats of engineering for the day and even now! I can only imagine how breathtaking the frescos must have been to behold in person! Thanks for the peek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi lovely lady It's been a long time no see. Your photos are Beautiful !! I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments about my tablescape for Halloween. I hope you will come over and see me next week also.
    I am hoping you have a wonderful week with your family.
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Such a beautiful place and great pictures! I would love to visit Italy. Living in the United States and then traveling to Europe, I'm always amazed how old some places are!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are so encouraging and make my day. I would love to know what you are thinking.
Please consider following by email or Bloglovin'. Thank you for reading my blog.